Glaze results

The cone in the kiln indicated that my kiln had fired to 1260, possibly 1270. I hadn’t tested these glazes before as my test tiles went missing twice, I was lucky that one of these tests came out perfectly.

Photo 12-12-2018, 11 11 21 am

This was the Satin Black glaze I used, I was a bit disappointed to see how uneven the glaze was, next time if I want to achieve an even finish I will need to use a finer sieve. The black doesn’t look very dark because of how reflective the glaze is. I find the crack quite interesting as well, I was very surprised at how much it warped but didn’t distort the form too much, I think the addition of the base helped a lot.

Photo 12-12-2018, 11 11 28 am.jpg

I tried the glaze I used for my bowl project again, to see if a change in the firing would affect anything, for my bowl project my pieces had a 30min soak whereas with this firing there was no soak. The glaze turned out very glossy, much glossier than my previous bowl, it does resemble my initial CAD drawings well but this isn’t the effect I was looking for. I applied a much thicker coat for this piece and adjusted the setting on the spray gun for it to look coarse, the combination of glossy glaze and coarse texture makes it look like it’s moving.

Photo 11-12-2018, 11 18 59 am

This was my porcelain based underglaze, which turned out just as I wanted. I really like the rough texture on top and the matt effect, it really draws in the light and creates an illusion element to my work. To develop this further I will apply a thicker texture as some light escapes through the top where I didn’t evenly apply the glaze. The combination of rough edge and soft porcelain light on top creates an illusion for the viewer.

%d bloggers like this: