Designing for the lathe

Before I started lathing I needed to make sure I had thought out my measurement correctly, I realised while designing that I won’t be able to control the thickness of my pieces as that will vary with the time it takes to cast. I will lathe the positive, create a mold to create a negative so the slip cast will be positive again. These were the main designs I followed.

Photo 25-05-2018, 13 49 18Photo 25-05-2018, 13 49 25

Because these designs were rounded, the cast thickness wasn’t even, this resulted in problems while trying to make the pieces stack. I also struggled to make the mold, they would often be stuck or the mold would break after i tried to get them out. I had to go back to the drawing board and change the edges to be straight.Photo 25-05-2018, 13 49 29

This design worked much better and I was able to make a one piece mold for them which saved me a lot of time, while casting this did result in some problems, I couldn’t leave the molds upside down to dry or they would fall out but I could leave them on their sides which did result in some unevenness in the sides but over all it worked out ok.Photo 25-05-2018, 13 49 36

I decided to make this first design which worked out well, i do have to trim a little down to make them fit in the pots but i’d rather them be too big than too small and have them fall off while pouring.

%d bloggers like this: